Date:      Tue, 4 Nov 1997 10:06:34 -0000
From:      "Bond, Jeffery" <Jeff.Bond@nectech.co.uk>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "'phbrown@gte.net'" <phbrown@gte.net>
Subject:   RE: Cleaning up wierd system messages to root

Parker Brown wrote:

>From: Parker Brown <phbrown@gte.net>
>Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 21:06:48 -0800
>Subject: Cleaning up wierd system messages to root
>
>This could conceivably (that doesn't look right!) be an XFree86
>question, but I don't think so.
>When I bring FreeBSD up, I usually login as root on console 1, then as
>regular user on console 2 (<alt><F2>) and use the system there without
>worrying about a global wipeout.  Also, just to monitor the efficiency
>of the system, I usually run systat -vmstat as root.  Anyway,  after
>using startx to use X-windows as a regular user, error messages
>something like "/kernel: cmd XF86-SVGA --- tried to use non-present
>SYSVSHM" show up on root's screen.  That blow's systat's whole screen
>(ok, no biggie) but I'm enough of a perfectionist to want to know
what's
>wrong.  SYSVSHM refers to System V Shared Memory, I guess.  I think
this
>only happens with my reconfigured kernel, and I know of nothing that
>I've omitted there.
>
>Please give jme some suggestions where to look so I can clean my system
>up.

You need to recompile your kernel with the SYSVSHM option. I had the
same problem too a while ago, even so, X still seemed to run fine. I
assume you have the kernel sources and gcc installed?

1. go to /usr/src/sys/i386/conf and make a copy of your current kernel
('GENERIC' probably), check bootup messages if your not sure.
2. have a look in the file (don't edit!) 'LINT' until you find a line
like 'option SYSVSHM'. There will probably be two more option lines
nearby looking very similar, (like 'option SYSVSEM' I think).
3. Copy these three option lines into the copy of your kernel config
file 'NEW_KERNEL' or whatever.
4. run 'config NEW_KERNEL' or whatever you called it.
5. cd ../../compile/NEW_KERNEL and do a 'make clean', 'make depend',
'make all' and finally 'make install'.
6. Reboot and keep your fingers crossed.

These instructions are from memory so there might be some errors, check
out the FAQ that came with your distribution, usually in
/usr/share/docs/FAQ I think.

Jeff Bond

Jeffery Bond
<mailto:jeffbond@compuserve.com>