Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 13:50:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FD_SETSIZE

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Doug White wrote:

> > equivalent to FD_SETSIZE in 2.2.8 and below?  When I have that option in a
> > 3.1 kernel, config tells me it doesn't recognize that option.
>
> I think it's a sysctl now, and you generally have to fix this on a
> per-program basis at build-time.

Hmm... so it's no longer a kernel option that can be "global" to all
programs like it used to be?  Here's why I'm asking about this:

We (DreamHaven) just upgraded one of our systems from FreeBSD 2.2.8-STABLE
to 3.1-STABLE.  We did a fresh installation on a new hard drive, installed
all the programs we use, threw in the /home hard drive, and were off and
running.  One of the web sites we host is extremely high-volume, and I
suspect that it may have been responsible for a system crash that occurred
last night.  Here is a sample of the pile of error messages that got
dumped into /var/log/messages:

Apr 11 18:59:08 calico /kernel:
Apr 11 18:59:08 calico /kernel: 3>file: table is full
Apr 11 18:59:08 calico /kernel: file: table is full
Apr 11 18:59:41 calico last message repeated 1781 times
Apr 11 18:59:41 calico syslogd: /var/run/utmp: Too many open files in system
Apr 11 18:59:41 calico syslogd: /var/run/utmp: Too many open files in system
Apr 11 18:59:41 calico /kernel: file: table is full
Apr 11 19:00:00 calico last message repeated 3310 times
Apr 11 19:00:00 calico /kernel: pid 5114 (cron), uid 0: exited on signal 11
Apr 11 19:00:00 calico /kernel: file: table is full
Apr 11 19:00:00 calico last message repeated 12 times

It wasn't a complete crash; one of our administrators was able to do a
remote "shutdown -r now" after she attempted it several times and managed
to "slip" the shutdown process into the process table.  We're worried that
something like this may happen again, though, and this one high-volume web
server I mentioned before may be aggrivating the problem.  We use Roxen
Challenger for our web server, by the way.  (Apache would die... :> )
None of us are programmers by any means, and sysctl is, well, something of
a mystery to me as well.  I appreciate any advice you may have to offer.
:)

Thanks!