Date:      Mon, 27 Feb 2006 07:20:45 -0600 (CST)
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@verizon.net>
To:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, Tobias Roth <roth@iam.unibe.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re: unversal watchdog

>From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>

>On Monday 27 February 2006 22:33, Tobias Roth wrote:
>> > man rc.subr plus a look through /etc/rc.d should get you started :)
>>
>> Can you explain in more detail how one can handle the watchdog part of
>> the equation? I can't find that information in the rc.subr manpage.
>
>Ahh sorry I think I misunderstood the question :(
>
>I was thinking a program to reset a hardware watchdog timer..
>
>As to answer the question - I am not aware of any facility for automatically
>restarting things (unless you can get init to do it via /etc/ttys somehow)

Would a port of a Linux init do ? :-) You know, it's
all separate packages on Linux and there is no reason
why they can't be ported and used separately. Here is
the package name from RedHat:

$ rpm -qf /sbin/init
SysVinit-2.85-4.2

I don't know if there is a ready port but it should
be not THAT difficult to do.

>I don't think it would be too hard to create a shell wrapper script though
>(kind of annoying I admit)

Well, it's been a long story now. Every time someone comes
with the idea of adding init to BSD, other people feel very
strongly that they hate init and that it must not be in BSD.

-SB