Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 2003 17:43:14 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hyperthreading in 4.8RC

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 12:24:22PM +1100, Gregory Bond wrote:
> > That CPU doesn't really support hyperthreading except in the vacuous
> > sense.  It's got enough support that you can boot an SMP kernel, but
> > plain P4's below 3.06GHz don't actually have additional logical CPUs
> > available.
>=20
> Thanks, that sort-of makes sense.  What buzz-words do I need to look for =
when
> shopping for CPU and/or MB?  If I get the appropriately fast CPU, will an=
y ol'
> S478 MB do or does there need to be special support there too?

You need a 3.06Mhz P4 or any Xeon to get HTT support.  I believe any
motherboard that supports those CPUs will work, but if you have an older
one, you might need a BIOS upgrade.  Be aware that depending on your
appliction mix, HTT may help and it may hurt.  That's why there's a
kernel option.

-- Brooks

--=20

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z