Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 15:53:06 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>, hackers@freebsd.org, ari.suutari@ps.carel.fi, cmott@srv.net
Subject:   Re: ipdivert & masqd

At 08:13 AM 1/29/97 +0000, Brian Somers wrote:
>[.....]
>>
>> Under which version(s) of FreeBSD are you guys having this problem ?
>> I'm trying to track it down...
>>

>I'm running 3.0-current and will test it on 2.2-961014-SNAP today.  I believe
>Ari is running 2.2(-BETA?) and suspect that Charles is running much the same
>or maybe 2.1.6....

Charles is running 2.1.0 (or at least he was running 2.1.0 a week ago.),
and is (in his own words) "too backwards to test [natd]"

BTW: Both masqd and natd need to allocate a large enough buffer to handle
PORT-commands being extended.  This is done without a buffer check in
alias_ftp.c; the maximum size it can be extended to is "PORT
123,123,123,123,123,123\r\n" - 32 characters (including termination) - an
extension of 8 characters.  The packet payload area _has_ to be large
enough handle this.
For the IRC DCC case (which I'll hopefully bring to testing point tomorrow
- any volunteers?) the expansion can be by 11 characters for each DCC hook
in a PRIVMSG, totalling max (payload size)*(4/3), ie expanding to 7/3 the
original size for a constructed nasty case.  This has bounds-checking,
though, and will not do overwrites.  Still, extra buffer-space do make it
work more reliably.

Eivind Eklund / perhaps@yes.no / http://maybe.yes.no/perhaps/