Date:      Sat, 09 Jun 2012 19:47:50 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        miwi@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, x11@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [CFT] Xorg 7.7 ready for testing!

I removed -current since it's out of scope for this. Also, I want to say
up front that I'm excited to have the new version available. :)

On 06/07/2012 05:37, Martin Wilke wrote:

[...]

> What I'm trying to say is, I would love to see
> the newer xorg released as the default version, but i know this will
> break a lot of old hardware. The thing is, when we want to try to
> become a Modern Operating System, I dont see any other way to make the
> new xorg as default but to give Users the chance to compile the old
> xorg with a flag like WITH_OLD_XORG.

Agreed, we have to continue supporting the current Xorg alongside the
new one. No reason not to drop the oldest one though. If we can swing
package support for 7.5 that would be great, we probably only need it
for i386 and amd64.

You might want to think about having a WITH_XORG flag that takes values
of 75 or 77; and implies the right version of mesa. This is probably
also a good time to think about changing the naming to be xorg77 and
xorg75, rather than just plain xorg. That way the next time we have to
go through this users who are at 77 can do the upgrade to what will then
be the newer version gracefully. Think php here.

> A small merge script to merge the svn checkout into the real portstree
> can be found here:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~miwi/xorg/xorgmerge

This is a good example of where having a projects branch in the new svn
ports repo would be really useful. :)

I think it's great that you're providing some tools that people can use
to test this, but having to redo the patch every time I update my ports
tree doesn't really appeal to me.

Doug