Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 23:41:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Language for Modeling Mechanical System

I have been conceiving a model of a motor vehicle in my head.  Kinematics
calculations are no fun. I am loathe to do many calculations when I can
let a computer do them for me.

I have looked at oodles of different "this vs that" language comparos on
the net. What I really need is symbolic math functionality.
Mathematica can do this for me. I desire to write a stand alone
program.

I was hoping to find a language that can give me symbolic math
functionality along with integration and differentiation. The coolest
would be to find something that does math as slick as PHP does HTML.

I am thinking of going with C or perhaps Ada, primarily because C works
with Tcl and Ada is used for missile guidance systems which are heavily
kinematic.

If someone out there can tell me of a language I can use that can do what
I need more easily, I would love to hear your suggestions. The big
criteria is, "Does the language make mathematical modeling easy?"

I figure there just has to be something out there that does mathematical
modeling. I just haven't found it yet.

Thank you,
Jason C. Wells