Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 1999 19:10:34 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "Tim Pushor" <timp@orion.ab.ca>
Cc:        "Wes Peters" <wes@softweyr.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: 'Out of buffer space' problem

>I have upped the NMBCLUSTERS to 8K, and I have sendmail and named running
>concurrently now without a problem, but we are also past the busiest part of
>the day..

   The problem you were describing sounds like a stuck transmitter caused
by a hardware or software bug. Increasing the number of mbuf clusters isn't
going to fix that problem. Is there any chance that you could upgrade the
machine to FreeBSD 3.2? It would also help if you could swap out the ethernet
card for either an 'ed' (SMC/Novell) or 'fxp' (Intel Pro 100B/100+).

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com