Date:      Sat, 7 Jun 2014 10:52:20 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@ixsystems.com>
To:        Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd vfs, solaris vfs, zfs

On Jun 7, 2014, at 8:08 AM, Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de> =
wrote:

> Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>=20
>> I've tried to express some of my understanding of how FreeBSD VFS =
works and how
>> it compares to Solaris VFS model, maybe you would find that =
interesting:
>> =
http://www.hybridcluster.com/blog/complexity-freebsd-vfs-using-zfs-example=
-part-2/
>> I will certainly appreciate any feedback.
>=20
> I'm interested in articles like this, thanks for taking the time to =
write them.

Yes, this is a well-written (albeit deeply technical) article on BSD =
VFS.  I get that the author is clearly more familiar with Solaris, and =
therefore used it as a point of comparison, but I wonder if he has any =
appetite for a Linux VFS (http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/lk/lk-8.html) =
vs BSD VFS article as well.  I=92ve never really investigated the Linux =
VFS implementation in any detail, but I=92m told it has some nice =
features to facilitate file change monitoring and simply provides a =
richer set of semantics for permuting filesystem behaviors.  Maybe we =
could learn a thing or two from it?

- Jordan