Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 12:54:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP&IP cksum offload on FreeBSD 4.2

Louis A. Mamakos writes:

 > I was referring to the case on the transmit side where the wrong
 > data get's gathered up by the DMA engine because of software related
 > errors.  You get a valid checksum, but for the wrong data.  You might
 > have the wrong data because a drive screwed up setting the DMA descriptors,
 > or some other I/O transfer splatted over the buffer waiting in a
 > transmit queue.

What happens if that same i/o transfer splatted over the buffer
waiting in user space prior to the copyin, or sitting in
the socket buffer prior to a software checksum being done?
Software checksums are not quite the panacea you make them out to be.
And they're very expensive.

Geez.  All I wanted to do was pat Jonathan on the back for coming up
with what is apparently the most flexible and well though out
mechanism out there.

These issues have been argued to death; I don't feel like arguing with
you.  I'm satisified that I'm not going to convince you & you're not
going to convince me.

Drew