Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 23:20:42 -0500
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@tutopia.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Guns and freedom [Was: Re: On "intelligent people" and

Jay Nelson wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
>
> >Terry Lambert wrote:

> >> There are two rules for an unarmed martial artist, when someone comes
> >> at them with a knife, and they can't avoid the situation:
> >>

> > 0)    Run as fast as you can.
> >
> >> 1)      Expect to be cut.
> >> 2)      Expect to kill the other person.
> >>
> >I had heard number 1 but not number 2.
>
> #2 is the only thing that allows a rational decision on #0 and #1.

No. I had an experience with some burglars in a very dangerous city.
There was no time to make "rational decisions". I was not alone and we
did end up running when I saw a knife, but in the first confusing
moments the first idea you have is regaining control and avoiding
someone (from your side) getting hurt.

To end the story abruptly: I survived :). I chose to kick the guy that
had grabbed my friend, the guy drew out the knife but by that time I had
already suggested we should better run.

cheers,

     Pedro.