Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 10:06:00 +0100 (CET)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        Radu Malica <rmalica@gmx.at>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Freebsd on a 15.2 hdd

On 20-Dec-99 Radu Malica wrote:
> hello i tried to install FreeBSD on a ibm djna - 351250 15.2 gb harddisk
> I made the freebsd partition on the first 1024 cylinders because i know some
> bootloaders halt if installed on a partition above 1024. So the freebsd
> bootloader 'sees' the DOS partition (fat32) which is the second partition
> and is above 1024 cylinders but when i want to boot with F2 the windows
> system i just hear a beep and it doesn't boot. I have to se the boot flag on
> the windows partition and if i want to boot freebsd to set the boot flag
> back to the bsd partition. Can you help me ?
>
> Radu Malica

The 1024 limit is not Booteasy's fault. This is built into every damn BIOS
there is. It (the BIOS) can't boot anything above 1024 cylinders not even a
wintendo partition. So: fdisk your HD and make sure that all BOOTABLE
partitions start within 1024 cyls.

Alternatively (not sure in your case) go into BIOS setup and try another
geometry. C,H,S can often be transformed into C/2,H*2,S repetitively until
H=255. Hopefully this brings your cylinder count down under 1024.

This is not as dramatic as it sounds: it's OK to only let / reside within 1024,
the /usr, /var and swap could not care less. And make sure the
2nd slice begins within 1024 too!

/M

Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se