Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 06:26:05 -0700
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: filesystem safety and SCSI disk write caching

On Oct 4,  9:51pm, "Justin T. Gibbs" wrote:
} >> >I told you so.
} >>
} >> You told me some things that were in-correct and some things that
} >> I already knew.  Par for the course.
} >
} >Feel free to make his setup work with SCSI write caching enabled.
}
} I gave the recipe for this on freebsd-alpha near the end of september.
}
} 1) Use a UPS.

Even with an UPS, a large percentage of our unclean shutdowns are power
related.  Most of these are due to power outages that last longer than
our UPS batteries.  I don't think there is enough room in our building
to store enough UPS batteries to last through our typical winter power
outages.  I don't think we'll be getting a backup generator anytime soon,
and even then I've heard quite a few stories on freebsd-isp about problems
getting generators to reliably start.

} 2) Use a drive with non-bogus firmware.  Recent Seagate and IBM
} drives should work just fine.  I haven't validated any Quantum
} drives in this regard yet.

But how can tell if the firmware is non-bogus?