Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:09:57 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: PCI bus breakage yesterday

Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:

> > I have created STABLE after this time.  It cleared up the problems I was
> > getting (network freezing, or the computer freezing).  (This on my Dell
> > Inspiron 7500 with a 3Com 574B.)
> >

> Oops spoke to soon - just experienced both.

Should also add the circumstances - I was doing

tar cvfz hub/afile lots-of-stuff
where hub is mounted via NFS to another computer.  I tried this several
times.  The first time it quite with an error something like:
gzip: Protocol error
So I restarted it.  It froze the internet.  So I did
ifconfig ep0 down
ifconfig ep0 up
The internet unfroze.  So I restarted the tar job.  Then the computer
froze.

I don't think I got the exact sequence of events, but this is the sort
of thing that has been going on.

--
Stephen Montgomery-Smith
stephen@math.missouri.edu