Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:19:26 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        m <m@telerama.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org" <freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: installation problem on Sun E450

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 06:59:26PM -0500, m wrote:
> > From: jacques brierre <jbrierre@bellsouth.net>
> > Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:41:41 -0500
> > To: m <m@telerama.com>
> > Cc: <freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org>
> > Subject: Re: installation problem on Sun E450
> >=20
> > m:
> > what version? cdrom might not be "good"?
> > I did this on Ultra 2 with CDs downloaded and burnt on Windows laptop.
> > Ultra 2 is headless. Used Serial A. Terminal software: TeraTerm.
> > I did cut the CDs twice. Might want to check eeprom settings as well.
> >=20
> > bash-3.00# uname -a
> > FreeBSD sphynx 5.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE #0: Fri Nov  5 19:30:40
> > UTC 2004     root@bobbi.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
> > sparc64
> > bash-3.00#
> >=20
>=20
> The CD is definitely OK.  It mounts just fine on my x86 BSD box and also =
on
> a Mac.  (It was burned on my Mac laptop).

That verifies that a very small part of the disc is okay.  Unless you
verified the md5 sum of the entire image against the checksum in the
release announcement, you can't be sure there isn't an error
elsewhere.  This kind of error *does* happen and *does* cause
installation failures.

Kris

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND--