Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 13:34:08 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        tony@dell.com (Tony Overfield)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pentium II?

> >I have a friend who had one until the Pentium math bugs reared their
> >ugly heads (he was an IDE weenie, so he didn't care that PCI bus
> >mastering failed on the thing).
>
> Can you remember a specific model number?  If so, I can reach up onto
> my shelf and pull one of them down and measure it.  I doubt it, but
> maybe I measured it wrong the first time around.

I will get the information from him the next time we talk (if he
remembers, that is).

> >Unless a DMA initiated by a controller rather than the host occurs.
> >Check the -hackers list archives for postings on disabling the L1
> >and L2 cache on these monstrosities...
>
> I tried searching -hackers ("Dell AND disabl* AND cach*") and only
> found one claim (yours, BTW) that this bug exists.  Interestingly,
> the only reply seemed to disagree with your claim.  Perhaps you can
> offer some better search keywords.

Yes, I can.  Search for "PCI" instead of "Dell"; this was a property
of the Saturn I, Neptune I, and Mecury I chipsets, not a property
of only Dell computers -- any computer using those chips blew the
cache line invalidation following a DMA from a PCI controller to
main memory.

You can search for "April 1994", which was the date (Bruce, I believe)
provided for the chipmask change.  It's mentioned in most of the
later messages...

> Don't forget than Pentium memory is 64 bits wide and 486/50 memory
> is 32 bits wide.  Thus, your fancy 486/50 memory bus cannot help to
> explain your faster I/O claims, so maybe you've got a "magic I/O bus."

Actually, PCI busses are only 32 bits wide, so the 64 bit processor
memory path is totally irrelevent for bus master DMA speed.  The
width limitation is at the bus-to-memory interface, not at the
processor.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---