Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 15:34:25 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Greg  Pavelcak <gpavelcak@philos.umass.edu>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Promise Ultra-ATA Controller

Hello All,

Following a note in the mail archives, I added extra wd controller
support thus:

controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
disk            wd1     at wdc0 drive 1

controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr
disk            wd2     at wdc1 drive 0
disk            wd3     at wdc1 drive 1

controller      wdc2    at isa? port "0" bio irq ? flags 0xa0ffa0ff vector wdintr
disk            wd4     at wdc2 drive 0
disk            wd5     at wdc2 drive 1

controller      wdc3    at isa? port "0" bio irq ? flags 0xa0ffa0ff vector wdintr
disk            wd6     at wdc3 drive 0
disk            wd7     at wdc3 drive 1

In the standard CMOS setup I said there were no disks on the on-board
controllers. I didn't change anything else.

There is a quick screen during boot-up that correctly identifies my
hard drives on the Promise controller, then there's this about PCI
devices

Bus No.  Dev. No.  Func No.  Vendor ID  Dev. ID   Dev Class   IRQ
  0         1         1        1039        5513   IDE Control   14
  0        13         0        1013        00B8   Display Cont   NA
  0        17         0        105A        4D33   Mass Storage Cont. 11

I thought all this looked promising, but FreeBSD says "not found" for
all my controllers.

wdc0 at 0x1f0 not found
wdc1 at 0x170 not found
wdc2 at 0x6000 not found
wdc3 at 0x600(?? I don't remember the number) not found

Note: I am running Current ca. 2/6/98 and yes I will switch to SCSI
when I get some dough.

Any advice on how I can get this controller to work would be greatly
appreciated. I am getting tired of experimenting. Unplugging and
inserting ribbon cables gets to be a pain after a while, especially in
a mini-tower.

Thanks again.

Greg