Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 2002 21:20:39 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soeren Schmidt <sos@spider.deepcore.dk>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: burncd/cdcontrol

It seems Nate Lawson wrote:
> Ah, I didn't know about the DVD for $ issue.  In any case, I prefer
> cdrecord because it works cross-platform and is supported by many GUIs.

right, but cdrecord is as close to closed source as you can get
without actually calling it that...

> The problem with making burncd work for SCSI is that it doesn't use the
> ATAPI interface, instead it implements our own ioctl interface.
> Currently, the ioctls burncd uses that are missing from cd(4) are:
>
>   CDRIOCGETBLOCKSIZE
>   CDRIOCSETBLOCKSIZE
>   CDRIOCNEXTWRITEABLEADDR
>   CDRIOCBLANK
>   CDRIOCGETPROGRESS
>   CDRIOCINITWRITER
>   CDRIOCFIXATE
>   CDRIOCSENDCUE
>   CDRIOCINITTRACK
>   CDRIOCFLUSH
>   CDRIOCREADFORMATCAPS
>   CDRIOCFORMAT
>
> Instead of cutting/pasting those from atapi-cd.c, I think it would be
> better eventually to rewrite burncd using the ATAPI commands and libcam to
> send them to the drive.  That way we can have one CD driver instead of
> duplicating all that code.  IMO, atapi-cd.c need never have been written
> but atapi-cam should have been done much earlier.  We now have two nearly
> identical drivers for supporting the exact same hardware.  cd(4) works for
> ATAPI and SCSI drives.  acd(4) doesn't but has newer ATAPI commands that
> have not yet been cut/pasted into cd(4).

Hmm, it is true that I could use ATAPI command directly in burncd, and
I actually have a version in the lab that is ~75% converted to that,
but that is not the only issue here. The ATAPI cd driver has quite a
bit of functionality that the SCSI cd driver hasn't, fx the ability
to read all kinds of CD's no matter what the block size, the ablity
to read individual tracks, and supporting ATAPI changer devices just
to mention a few :)
Besides for some of us that uses small systems without SCSI in them,
saving the +100k of compiled code for the CAM overhead is important.

Oh, and besides the SCSI/CAM cd driver didn't exist when I did the
first version of the ATAPI cd driver, that was the old SCSI system
back then...

-Søren