Date:      Sat, 04 Dec 1999 13:03:51 +1030
From:      wincent <wincent@dingoblue.net.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   IRC from behind a gateway

(Already tried sending this, but it bounced back... apologies if it went
through twice!)

I've had a great time on the net since setting up a FreeBSD gateway! I love
this OS already. But here's a question....

When I try to use IRC, many servers insist that I run "inetd" or they'll
boot me off.

So, I can run inetd, and they'll let me log on from an IRC client running on
the FBSD gateway.

But, if I try to run a client on a private machine *behind* the gateway they
boot me off every time, whether or not inetd is running on the gateway.
(Seeing as the machine in question is a Mac, I couldn't run inetd on that
anyway).

So what's up? Is this peculiar to IRC or have I got my configuration wrong
somewhere? Other protocols and services work fine: ssh, ftp, http, DNS etc.

Thanks
Wincent