Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 2008 20:20:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dennis Flynn <dennis_flynn@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 7.0 Stable and the CP2101 driver

I/m new to FreeBSD (but not Unix in general) and I am setting up an embedded server to acquire data from a weather station.  The data comes from the weather station console via the USB port on the server.  The USB device is a Silicon Labs CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller.  Apparently this driver has been added to FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE - http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/relnotes/7-STABLE/relnotes.html.  I tried installing the update, e.g. "freebsd-update -r 7.0-STABLE fetch", then "freebsd-update -r 7.0-STABLE upgrade".  Seemed to work.  But I do not seem to have the device driver loaded when I plug in the USB device.  I get the folowwing in the messages log:

Jun 10 16:48:02 wx kernel: ugen0: <Silicon Labs CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller, class 0/0, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2> on uhub0

But I don't see a device that I think I should see, like /dev/ttyU0.  If I do a "uname -a" I see the following:

FreeBSD wx.dennis-flynn.net 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0: Sun Feb 24 19:59:52 UTC 2008     root@logan.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

That doesn't seem right to me.  Shouldn't I see something like 7.0-RELEASE-p1 or 7.0-STABLE?  Did I do something wrong in my update to RELEASE?  How do I know if I'm running the STABLE kernel with the driver I want?  How can I tell if the driver (uslcom) is there and/or loaded?

Thanks in advance for all help.

-Dennis

Dennis Flynn

Work