Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2001 23:14:10 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Does DDB's watch feature actually work?

I've been using DDB the last few days attempting to track down a supposed
bug in our TCP/IP stack.  (See PR/31746).  From what I've been able to tell
so far (using the ugly insert-printf-here mechanism of debugging), a
structure is getting zeroed which is causing the problem reported in the PR.

So, I decided to learn how to use DDB, and set a watch on the data element
that's getting blown away.  The problem is, once I've got a watch in place,
the system traps (page fault) at the strangest locations in the networking
code -- %eip is nowhere near any code that modifies the data that I'm
watching.

There is a note in the ddb(4) man page, that states that "attempts to watch
wired kernel memory may cause unrecoverable errors in some systems such as
i386".  Is this the cause of what I'm seeing?

--
Matt Emmerton