Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 14:14:00 -0400
From:      "Jeays, Mike" <JEAYS@statcan.ca>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Mike Jeays <jeays@statcan.ca>
Cc:        questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Crashed X-server

It definitely happened with the older Trident board, and more than once.  It
seems closely related to very high demands on swap space.  Next time I
re-install, I will make more.  (I currently have 16 MB of real memory, and I
think 42 MB of disk swap space - whatever came out of the default
sysinstall.)  I have a Gigabyte motherboard; I don't remember the model
number, and can see any printing on it to tell me what model it is.

I had a home-brewed CPU monitor running at the time of the crash, and
noticed it got killed first, presumably by FreeBSD randomly killing
processes.  Then xclock stopped running.  After that, everything froze dead;
the mouse and all key combinations, and the contents of the display.

I have since proved that only the X-server was dead, as I was able to telnet
into it from work this morning, and it seemed fine.  (I can't run a remote
X-terminal from work).  Very few processes were running, and nothing related
to X or fvwm.