Date:      Sun, 4 Nov 2001 20:58:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 4.4-STABLE hanging problem with ibm thinkpad laptop

On Sat, 3 Nov 2001, John Merryweather Cooper wrote:

> On 2001.11.03 23:08 Jason Hunt wrote:
> > I have an IBM Thinkpad 560E laptop.  I was running a 4.4-STABLE
> > from September, and it was great.  I cvsup'd to 4.4-STABLE on
> > November 3rd, and now when I reboot or shutdown, it kills daemons,
> > synch's disks, and shows the uptime.  Normally it would either
> > reboot or turn the machine off, or tell you to press and key to
> > reboot and you can turn it off manually.  Instead, it hangs and I
> > have to hard-reboot the machine.  Any help?  The generic kernel
> > did this as well.
> >
> Actually, the behavior you have now is 90% of what is supposed to
> happen.  Something was wrong if you weren't seeing the daemons get
> killed, syncing of disks, etc.  It looks like the problem is that
> you're getting a shutdown even when you want a reboot.  Well, the
> laptop types should be able to suggest some kernel options that might
> get you somewhere there, but it sounds like cycling power at the end of
> the "shutdown" will get you most of what  you want.  Obviously, since I
> don't have a laptop running FreeBSD, your mileage may vary . . . --

    Make sure you have the following in your kernel, to allow the APM
stuff to work correctly:

    device apm0

This is disabled in GENERIC, btw.

    shutdown -r and shutdown -p should then do the right thing, as
should apm -z and apm -Z.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)