Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 1997 14:37:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        gibbs@freebsd.org
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   NOT READY

Hi Justin (and the rest of the SCSI world),

I seem to be getting a lot of the following kind of messages.

===
sd41(ahc2:9:0): SCB 0x3 - timed out while idle, LASTPHASE == 0x1, SCSISIGI == 0x0
SEQADDR = 0x5 SCSISEQ = 0x12 SSTAT0 = 0x5 SSTAT1 = 0xa
Ordered Tag queued
sd1(ahc0:1:0): SCB 0xa - timed out while idle, LASTPHASE == 0x1, SCSISIGI == 0x0
SEQADDR = 0x6 SCSISEQ = 0x12 SSTAT0 = 0x5 SSTAT1 = 0xa
Ordered Tag queued
sd41(ahc2:9:0): SCB 0x3 - timed out while idle, LASTPHASE == 0x1, SCSISIGI == 0x0
SEQADDR = 0x6 SCSISEQ = 0x12 SSTAT0 = 0x5 SSTAT1 = 0xa
sd41(ahc2:9:0): Queueing an Abort SCB
sd41(ahc2:9:0): Abort Message Sent
sd41(ahc2:9:0): SCB 3 - Abort Tag Completed.
sd41(ahc2:9:0): no longer in timeout
Ordered Tag sent
sd41(ahc2:9:0): NOT READY asc:4,2
sd41(ahc2:9:0):  Logical unit not ready, initializing command required
, retries:3
===

The last three lines are repeated as long as the disks are accessed.
They don't go away until the machine is rebooted.

I remember mentioning this to you a while ago, and you said it's a bad
disk -- but we seem to be getting way too many of these to blame
individual disks.  In the past week, it has happened on 8 out of 112
disks.  These are IBM 9GB (DCHS09Y) Ultra-Wide disks connected to
3940UW (20MHz mode disabled, 7 disks per string.)

Also, it seems odd to me that a warm boot (i.e., no power cycling of
disks) seems to always clear the problem, at least for the time being.
Do you think issuing a SCSI bus reset may help?  (I think the old ahc
driver did this, right?)

Another odd thing is that 3 out of the 8 are in the same position
(ahc0:2:0).  I'm not sure if this means the enclosures are to blame.
(Those are on the third position (out of 7) from the left on the top
enclosure...not at the edge or anything....)  There are a couple of
"repeat offenders", but other than those, the problem seems to
completely go away after rebooting.

Satoshi