Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 12:33:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      David@webedited.com
To:        northern snowfall <dbailey27@ameritech.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hang after soft reboot.

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, northern snowfall wrote:

> Well... all ATA in freebsd are pretty much conglomerated into the same
> driver... but, the problem isn't really so much the ATA as it is that
> the ATA expects a PM telling it what to do. Since this is something that
> must be done via the hardware at boot, FreeBSD doesn't really have a way
> to tell the ATA what to do.  One solution might be hacking extra reset
> controls, etc, into the ATA driver so that this functionality is
> asserted on boot. Then, though, there is a possible chicken-egg issue:
> you're initializing the disk and snarfing data off the disk at the same
> time as attempting a hard reset, which, might cause a lock (or worse). I
> think your most painless solution is upgrading your mother board. Don

Well I don't have much option to upgrade here, so I just won't do warm
reboots. However that does give me some questions:

If the extra hacking was done, what would be wrong with that occurring at
the end of the reboot process, rather than the start of the boot process?

If there's some form of a kernel panic then presumably a reboot would
occur causing this hang; what could I do to prevent this? Are their any
other times where a reboot could occur out of my control?

Thanks again,

DG