Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 1995 01:12:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com>
To:        hasty@star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, faq@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Why IDE is bad

> > > Do the above drives have similar performance characteristics?
> >
> > That is entirely insignificant.  The interesting thing is that
> Perhaps this is so ...
> However, if the IDE drive is fast your data transfer rate could be
> faster. As for the CPU load, Western Digital drives support DMA. Now don't ask
> me if it works or not or which other IDE drives support DMA.

I don't think you will find many ide's faster than the WDC, I know
it can run faster on a better IDE-controller, but this is a fairly
standard IDE controller so it's a good indication.
And yes, but FreeBSD doesn't support DMA in IDE (yet ?)...

--
Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@login.dknet.dk> -- TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
'All relevant people are pertinent' && 'All rude people are impertinent'