Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2007 05:47:36 +0200
From:      Frank Steinborn <steinex@nognu.de>
To:        John Williams <john.williams@seawindow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apparent IP configuration change . . .

John Williams wrote:
> FreeBSD users:
>
> Until recently I've been running a very low-maintenance FreeBSD router
> with FBSD 6.2.
>
> The IP setup was a dynamic IP configuration with Verizon as my DSL
> provider in NJ. The connection was virtually trouble-free.
>
> I switched to a static IP about 10 days ago and the IP configuration no
> longer works.

[ ... ]

> Here's what worked for the dynamic IP connection:
>
> verizon:
>   set device PPPoE:rl0
>   set authname xxx
>   set authkey xxx
>   add default HISADDR
>
> Here's what I've set up for the static IP connection:
>
> verizon:
>   set device PPPoE:rl0
>   set authname xxx
>   set authkey xxx
>   add default HISADDR
>   set ifaddr 70.0.0.54 70.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 0.0.0.0

You are suggesting the peer that your IP should be 0.0.0.0, but you
will only accept 70.0.0.54. Moreover, you only accept peer as
70.0.0.1. Are you sure that this is what you want? ppp(8) gives a
wonderful overview of 'set ifaddr'.

It's kind of hard to help without further information, it would be
really nice to know the data you got from the provider about the
static IP setup.

Just a naive shoot in blue: Did you try without setting 'set ifaddr'
at all? Probably your peer will negotiate the right setting with your
ppp-client anyway.

HTH,

Frank