Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 17:26:01 -0400
From:      Gary Schrock <root@eyelab.psy.msu.edu>
To:        Patrick Seal <patseal@hyperhost.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wdtimeout() DMA status 4

At 12:17 PM 4/12/99 -0700, Doug White wrote:
>On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Patrick Seal wrote:
>
>> It's a new disk.  I just replaced the old disk that was giving similar
>> behavior.  Could it be the disk controller or just a coincidence?
>>

>Bad cable?

I've just had seagate suggest to me for a similar problem that it could
just be that the cable I'm using is too noisy and that their drives are
very sensitive to interference in ultra dma modes.  Basically they're
saying I might have to go to a ATAS cable for things to work properly.  I
had been seeing similar errors to that (and managed to wipe out my freebsd
installation no less too).

Gary Schrock
root@eyelab.msu.edu