Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2011 13:51:42 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-x11@FreeBSD.ORG, ivoras@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Nvidia driver?

Ivan Voras wrote:
 > For ages now I've been buying ATI cards for my home dual-boot machine,
 > but it looks like the driver situation is only getting worse so I'm
 > thinking of switching camps to nvidia.

Is it really that bad?

I never cared much about ATI (AMD) vs. Nvidia, because it
seemed that both of them have their share of advantages
and disadvantages.  A few months ago I bought a new box
that happened to have ATI/AMD inside (it really didn't
matter to me when I bought it), and it's working without
any problems, including video acceleration (can play 1080p
full-screen at low CPU usage) and 3D / GL stuff.  More
than enough for me.  Unfortunately I can't say the same
about my workstation at the office which has some Nvidia
chip; it has problems with 3D support, I never got it to
work stable in 64bit mode.  I spent several hours, now
I'm fed up with it and decided to simply run the darned
thing in i386 mode (doesn't matter much, it has < 4 GB
RAM anyway).

As things stand today, according to my personal experience,
I'd rather buy ATI/AMD again instead of Nvidia.

Of course, my experience may not be representative.
Your mileage may vary ...

Best regards
   Oliver

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.  However, this
is not necessarily a good idea.  It is hard to be sure where
they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting
under them as they fly overhead." -- RFC 1925