Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 10:50:04 -0700
From:      "Eric A. Davis" <edavis@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        edavis@shark.nas.nasa.gov
Cc:        sfarrell+lists@farrell.org, Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>, Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to add new system calls...

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998 10:40:33 -0700 "Eric A. Davis" wrote

>On 15 Apr 1998 12:07:36 -0500 sfarrell+lists@farrell.org wrote
>>Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com> writes:

>>> Sort of like tripwire, but in real time.  The Amiga has a feature where
>>> you could monitor a file or directory for changes.  Imagine cron
>>> getting a signal when /var/cron/tabs changes.  Or any other daemon that
>>> has a config file.  There's a description of the function (but not the
>>> assosicated structures unfortunately) at
>>
>>Also applicable, perhaps, to GUI items like file managers so they do
>>not need to poll the directory.
>>

>Let me tell you what we are doing here at the NAS.  We have approx 200 users
>publishing web pages.  All web pages are located on a central 'build' box
>were the users do their editing.  This 'build' box is a powerful SGI system
>running IRIX 6.2.  The IRIX kernel has a facility called imon & fam that
>allows real time monitoring of the filesystem.
>
>I wrote an application that monitors _all_ the web files.  There are over
>xxxx files and directories that are being monitored.  This has worked out
>_extremely_ well for us.  Any time a change occurs within these filesystems
>my application immediately notices it and copies/updates/makes the changes
>on our actual server located in a DMZ.  This is great because using this
>paradigm we can also manage the ownership and permissions of the files on
>our servers.

Oops, just to clarify the above.  I forgot to put in the actual number of
files/dirs being monitored.

We have just under a million file/dirs being monitored by the kernel and are
receiving about 20,000 events a day.  And it works beautifully.

- e

--
     Eric Allen Davis        Network Engineer
     edavis@nas.nasa.gov     NASA Ames Research Center