Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 1998 02:21:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@zone.baldcom.net>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   fs weirdness

Bear in mind through the following that root was mounted normally, not
SoftUpdates, not async.
I was working with vn(4) drives earlier, and so was doing a lot of dd
if=/dev/zero'ing. I wanted to create two pan60 drives, one on wd0, one on
wd1, and vnconfiged to vn0 and vn1, to attempt use of ccd for striping (if
anyone can help, I still haven't gotten it to work right at all... what's
the correct order, disklabel, fdisk, newfs? I can't seem to get newfs to
work at all...). The first drive I was making via (in $PWD==/) dd
if=/dev/zero of=stripe bs=512 count=121xxx. Inadvertantly, I ran dd again
with the exact same parameters; the following weirdness came to be (this
is after removing, fscking, mounting, etc... at the time, the free space
was -something, but you get the idea):
Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd0s1a     98479   -40815   131416   -45%    /
when I fscked /, I saw what I was looking for, an unref file, and I let
fsck delete it; of course, mount -u -o update / and sync()'ing didn't help
at all, and I had no free space, with no file taking up the space (fsdb,
fsck, and ls all verified nothing was taking up this space). To provide
the real numbers, via fsck:
2316 files, 22713 used, 75766 free (1502 frags, 9283 blocks, 1.5%
fragmentation)
So something went wrong; I mounted /dev/wd0a /mnt (root is wd0s1a) and
removed the _supposedly_ removed /mnt/stripe which appeared there, synced,
and umounted /mnt. /stripe STILL existed, so I rm'ed it again, and now
we're up to the present. Something went wrong somewhere... it seems that
when dd unlinked the file, the kernel didn't pick up on the fact that
there were no links to the file and remove the contents of the inode which
/stripe, like it usually does if a file is unlinked and there are no links
left, right? So that's basically all I've got about this problem, anyone
who wants to comment on it, or try to pry more info from me, go ahead, I
think that about does it for relevant info.

Cheers,
Brian Feldman
green@unixhelp.org