Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 1997 14:19:21 -0700 (MST)
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@esys.ca>
To:        Jimbo Bahooli <moke@fools.ecpnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail running non-root SUCCESS!

On Tue, 7 Jan 1997 21:01:32 -0600 (CST) Jimbo Bahooli
<moke@fools.ecpnet.com> wrote:

> Other notes, i believe all .forward and related files need to be readable
> by the user daemon. I also recommend using tcp_wrappers for logging
> because in /var/log/maillog the relay will show up as localhost because of
> the redirection.
>
> Any comments?

If one were to deprecate ~/.forward in favour of /var/db/forward/$USER,
and write a forward(1) command to allow user manipulation of the files
in the new location then the above restriction would go away. (Use the
crontab(1) command as a model.)

--lyndon

Disco music makes it possible to have disco entertainment
centers. Disco entertainment centers make it possible for mellow,
laid-back, boring kinds of people to meet each other and reproduce.
                                          --Frank Zappa