Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 1995 15:17:07 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        steve hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>, Craig Huckabee <huck@slartibartfast.nosc.mil>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pty limit of 64

>On Fri, 29 Dec 1995, David Greenman wrote:
>
>>    As for ptys, 32 units are fully supported for each of ttyp, q, r, and s,
>>and if you're not using xterms, another 32 ptys each are supported for P, Q, R,
>> and S...for a total of 256 ptys.
>>
>	Okay, simple question...is there a way of telling xterms to use
>particular ptys, namely those in the ttyP+ range?  Freeing up the 128 from
>p-s?

   The problem is that xterm as written does not know about P-S. It only knows
about p-s. There's no way to work around this except by modifying the xterm
source to teach it about P-S.

>  Since, from your statement above, I assume that P-S are not available
>for such things as telnet/rlogin/etc?

   Just the other way around - P-S can only be used for telnet/rlogin/etc;
they can't be used for xterms. If you're not using xterms, then you need not
worry. :-)

-DG