Date:      Mon, 4 Feb 2002 23:58:36 -0000
From:      "Duncan Barclay" <dmlb@dmlb.org>
To:        "Terry Lambert" <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, "Maksim Yevmenkin" <myevmenk@digisle.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Bluetooth stack for FreeBSD (full status)

From: "Terry Lambert" <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
> I haven't really taken an active interest in BlueTooth,
> since there are no laptops or printers that come with
> it already present; I rather think it will end up as
> still-born because of 802.11e Gigabit wireless, which
> can use as little or less power.

There are now a few devices with Bluetooth in them. Sony has had a Viao
with it in for a while.

802.11e is not gigabit wireless. .11e is quality of service enhancements
to the .11 MAC. You may be confusing it with .11a - 54Mbps at 5.2GHz or
the new .11g giving 54Mbps at 2.45GHz. Some people (Proxim) have .11a cards
that can operate at 108Mbps. This will have a reduced range though as they
probably halve the forward error correction somehow - maybe by
increased puncturing.

.11 without .11e is worse than Bluetooth for certain data types. For example
it cannot carry isochronous data. Bluetooth was never meant to compete
with .11 and was designed for a different purpose - mobile phones.
Wanderering
around the UK's high streets a lot of phone shops and a couple of the bigger
consumer electronics chains are now selling Bluetooth enabled stuff.

Duncan