Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 1997 22:58:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Countering stack overflow

> > What other security holes exist, other than stack overflow variations,
> > which allow an intruder to take over a machine?
>
> That's a restatement of the halting problem.  Various examples of
> common hole-providing behaviour have been discussed on the lists over
> the last few months.  Buffer overflow (rather than stack overflow)
> errors comprise a large part of the problem, but there have been
> others (eg. remote login daemons leaking environment variables) which
> only come to light as the result of a comprehensive code review.

The only mechanism I have seen for an intruder to gain control of the
executable stream is to rewrite a return address on the stack.  I don't
see how an overflow of a malloc()'ed buffer can allow someone to gain
control of your machine.  They may crash it or corrupt operation, but not
gain control.  Crashing seems to me a much less serious problem.  Also it
is possible to keep network connection logs to see where intruders came
from before the machine died.

Charles Mott