Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2000 08:31:05 -0600
From:      "Jim C. Nasby" <jim@nasby.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RAID on the cheap

Zdenko Tomasic wrote:

> I  would normally prefer scsi setup which would be better, but cost is
> the issue here. What would be recommended as an adequate CPU? PIII-733?

My brother just asked me the same basic question, so I ran a test:

tar -cf /dev/null /usr &

While this was running, I kept an eye on top and couldn't discern any
increase in the cpu useage reported by the vinum process:

root  18  0.0  0.0  592  8 ??  DLs  Wed09PM  0:00.01 vinum: vinum daemon
(vinum)

tar was showing ~10% of a CPU. This box is a dual PII-375 with 4 9G
10kRPM U2W drives in a raid-5 configuration with softupdates enabled.

Watching the vmstat page of systat, the disks were doing ~100 TPS and
about 600kB/s. This obviously seemed a bit low.

Running tar -cf ~/usr.tar /usr shows tar using about 10% of a cpu
(system and interrupt combined are less than 10%, according to top), tps
are down to ~75, but the drives are now doing 1.5-2.5MB/s. Still not
getting the full potential (the drives are seeking their brains out...
/home is a different filesystem that /usr, but they're both raid-5
volumes on the same set of drives).

cp ~/usr.tar /dev/null gets us cp using 25% of a CPU, 17% going to the
system. The drives are cooking along at 4MB/s.

So, as someone else said, CPU speed isn't real important here, it's bus
speed.
jim@nasby.net                                               /___\