Date:      Sat, 21 Mar 1998 20:35:50 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        alk@pobox.com, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: synth applications, anyone?

Tony Kimball:
 |3. That opl3 support is *not* used by any applications

playmidi does:

  -e       output to external midi
  -D x     output to midi device x
  -f       output to fm (sb patches)
  -4       output to 4-op fm (opl/3 patches)
  -a       output to awe32 wave synth

 |Also, if you know of *any* existing applications using the synth
 |driver, please inform me.

http://multiverse.com/~rhh/awedrv

Just a sampling that I've worked with on the AWE driver.  Others are out
there as well.  Some are FreeBSD packages in the audio dir.  Other examples
for Linux on sunsite at /pub/Linux/apps/sound/players.

Randall