Date:      Mon, 9 Aug 2004 12:23:45 +0200
From:      Oliver Hoffmann <oliver.hoffmann@uw-service.de>
To:        freebsd-firewire@freebsd.org
Subject:   Odd Problems with second FW-device

Hi all!

I have a fileserver with a raid-system and two FW-harddisks for backups. The
first HD is for daily the second for monthly backups. If there are two
partitioned HDs in then everything is ok. The devices looked like this:
da0 the second FW-HD
da1 the first FW-HD
da2 the raid

Yesterday I put in a new disk which was not partitioned. I started sysinstall
and my first one switched from da1 to da0, the new one wanted to be da1. I
didn't want that because I had to rewrite my scripts then. Thus I switched
off the first and started sysinstall again. It crashed. Means it hung with
scanning devices and due to a D in the process list it was unkillable. I did
several busresets. After a while it was impossible to login at the console. A
ssh-connection was still there but died when I typed in ps ax. smb users
could work but no new connections could be made. That means all processes
went on but the system wasn't able to start new ones. I had that problem a
few months ago and I thought it has something to do with the hardware (RAM?).
I replaced the whole server.  Now this odd behavior seems to be caused by the
fw-system.  Could that be?

Next I had to reset of course. I saw that the fw-devices are always there
before the raid because the system waits 15s to let the SCSI devices settle
down. I often run into problems while booting because of that. The raid has
certainly not a noauto in the /etc/fstab and a displacing of the device
assignment is always annoying. Is there a way to assign all the fw-devices at
the end of the booting process to avoid this?
Now da0 is my fw, da1 my raid and da2 will be my fw2 (I don't dare to put in
the blank disk again). That means next time I reboot a have to let the fw
switched on to get no device-confusion. And I have to prepare every blank
disk in another (non-critical) system.

Every help will be gratefully appreciated!!
Thanks.
Regards,

Oliver