Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 1995 03:38:03 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Pritchard <pritc003@maroon.tc.umn.edu>
To:        brian@mediacity.com (Brian Litzinger)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: -current bad slices

> -current for the last two days has reported some
> giberish about bad slices, and the fsck pass reports
> my first two files systems (a and e) are fine, and
> then reports f has a problem at block 16 which is
> unrecoverable.
>
> an fsck -n /dev/rsd0f, then reports blocks
> 16 - 31 are bad, this is not a BSD labelled drive.
>
> The drive is a DEC RZ73 2.1GB.
>
> reboot with a -current from two days ago and everything works fine.

I've been seeing the same thing, and now my DOS partitions no longer
mount at boot time.  Running a disklabel shows that all of my FreeBSD
slices cyl/hd/sec numbers are all now relative to the start of the
entire FreeBSD parition.  E.g. my /dev/rsd1a slice is now reported
as starting at cylinder 0, even though it physically starts somewhere
around cyl. 500 on the disk. My old MS-DOS partitions are no nowhere
to be seen in my disklabel output.

So now that the slices are being definied differently, how do I go
about getting my msdos partitions usable again?  I'm also not thrilled
with the fact that disklabel is now reporting relative cyl/hd/sec
numbers instead of absolute numbers.
--
Mike Pritchard
The Dart Shop - Darts & Supplies