Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 1997 10:20:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't build tk41 port

On Sun, 19 Jan 1997, Chuck Robey wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Jan 1997, Dave Babler wrote:
>

> > This is a continuation of problems I've been having trying to build
> > (ultimately) the quakeserver port. Previously, I could not build the
> > 'expect' port, the concensus being I was running 2.1.5. I received my
> > 2.1.6-current CD a few days ago and, after sup'ing to sync with the
> > current release, I rebuilt the kernel and did a make world. I also sup'd
> > the latest ports as well.
> >
> > Now, I can't for the life of me get tk4.1 to build. When I try, I get:
>
> This is because the port now relies on current's (and 2.2's) installation
> of tcl, which 2.1.5 doesn't have.  You'd want to get the old 2.1.5 port of
> tk, which would have built for that version of freebsd.

Okay, now I am *really* confused. I'm trying to build 'expect', which
needs tk4.1 which needs tcl, which needs...? Under 2.1.5, I could build
tk4.1, now I can't build it under 2.1.6. I also now don't seem to be
able to build tk-3.6 (dies in tkEvent.c, 'tcl_AsyncReady' undeclared).
Uninstalling the whole mess and starting from scratch now, *nothing* seems
to build and there really doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason to it.
The only way I know to approach this is to start with the final product
(building expect)  and work backwards, but this seems to lead me in an
ever-descending spiral, breaking things as I go.

-Dave