Date:      Sun, 21 Sep 2003 12:29:07 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott+freebsd@fishballoon.org>
To:        Alban Hertroys <dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upgrading

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 01:13:11PM +0200, Alban Hertroys wrote:
> On 21 Sep, Matthew Seaman hit a keyboard in the following places:
> >     # shutdown -r now
>
> Hmm, I usually prefer to do  just: #shutdown now
> so that I end up in single user mode immedately. I usually check 'ps' to see
> whether no daemons are running (fleeing?) that should have died.
> This method has the effect that you're still running the same kernel,
> but I'm now unsure whether that's a good or a bad thing.
>
> If you reboot (with '-r'), you are booting a system where the kernel is
> upgraded, but the rest of the system isn't. That could cause startup
> scripts to fail and the like.

You *want* to boot the new kernel, to make sure that it will actually boot
before installing the rest of the upgraded system.  Obviously you'll boot
into single-user mode for the reason you state - mixing a new kernel with
an old useland is generally a bad idea.

If you just go ahead and installworld without testing the new kernel first,
you increase your risk of completely breaking your system.  Up to the point
where you run installworld, you can still back out and boot your old system
with the old kernel.

This is all documented pretty well in the Handbook - the safest method is
probably to follow the steps listed there, in that order.  There *are* good
reasons for it being documented that way.

Obviously there are exceptions - building on one machine and installing on
another over NFS, for instance - but I would suggest following the Handbook
procedure at least the first few times, until you're confident you understand
everything that's going on.

> OTOH, if you don't, are you using the installed install tools or the
> upgraded ones (which may require the new kernel) when running
> installworld?

Installworld uses the tools built during buildworld.

Cheers,

	Scott