Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2012 14:22:27 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@kitchenlab.org>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Subject:   Re: fxp entering promiscuous  mode causing link to bounce

--------------enig7FC458AF8EB0F07BCEC6255A

If memory serves me right, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> I dont recall seeing this on RELENG_7, but I dont have a box to test wi=
th anymore confirm. On one box I upgraded to RELENG_8 I just noticed the =
nic will bounce if I enable tcpdump on it.  Sure enough, trying on a diff=
erent RELENG_8 box with an fxp nic shows the same result.

JFYI I see this on an ancient i386 system I have, running 9.0-RELEASE:

fxp0: <Intel 82801BA/CAM (ICH2/3) Pro/100 Ethernet> port 0xac00-0xac3f
mem 0xefdfe000-0xefdfefff irq 11 at device 8.0 on pci1

Same thing...going into or out of promiscuous mode makes the link bounce.=

fxp0: link state changed to DOWN
fxp0: promiscuous mode enabled
fxp0: link state changed to UP
fxp0: link state changed to DOWN