Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 08:20:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, n_hibma@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: USB Installation - Working Release!

On 31-Mar-00 Mike Smith wrote:
>> Ok, I've been working on trying to build a release that can be
>> installed onto machines that have USB keyboards as well as other
>> USB foo.  My current patch to src/ for this is at
>> http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/patches/usb.release.patch.  You can
>> use it to build a release via
>> 'make release LOCAL_PATCHES=usb.release.patch'.  A release of
>> -current made with this patch can be found at
>> ftp://ftp.Baldwin.cx/pub/FreeBSD/5.0-BALDWIN_CX-USB-20000330/
>>

>> 1) The kernel userconfig does not work with a USB keyboard.  The
>>    result is that we can't put INTRO_USERCONFIG into the install
>>    floppy.  Since we want this for installation whenever we can
>>    this means that we will have to have a seperate USB kern.flp
>>    until userconfig is moved out to the loader where it arguably
>>    belongs.
>
> INTRO_USERCONFIG should probably be smart enough to work out that there
> isn't an early input device and just punt.

Hrmm. Ok.

>> 2) Right now the GENERIC kernel doesn't have the atkbd0 device
>>    in it, so it won't work on a system with just an AT keyboard.
>>    For a workaround, I'm thinking of adding kbdcontrol to the
>>    install floppy, and adding an entry into /etc/usbd.conf for
>>    ukbd0 that runs kbdcontrol to change the default keyboard to
>>    the first USB keyboard.  Thus, on a system with both an AT
>>    and a USB keyboard, the USB keyboard would be used, and on a
>>    system with either the working one would be used.  I'll be
>>    working on this later on this evening and then try to roll
>>    another release.  However, this would require a change to
>>    /usr/src/etc/usbd.conf if that is ok with everyone.
>>
>> Comments?
>
> If there's an AT keyboard, it should always be used first.

The problem is that if atkbd0 is in the kernel we just assume an AT
keyboard is installed, even if one isn't.  Thus, for a system with
an AT or PS/2 controller w/no keyboard but a USB keyboard, the non
existent AT keyboard would still be chosen as the default keyboard,
giving you a worthless system.  I'm going to try flags 0x1 on the
atbkd0 device though (detect keyboard) along with flags 0x100 on
sc0 and see if that gives the desired results.