Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 2002 11:28:27 -0800
From:      Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
To:        Peter Schoenmaker <pds@dgsi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dns resolution problems

On Monday, Nov 11, 2002, at 11:12 US/Pacific, Peter Schoenmaker wrote:

> I am having problems resolving hosts with freebsd.  Specificly i have
> problems resolving hosts @ united airlines.  These include www.ual.com,
> www.united.com, www.ua2go.com, www.itn.net.  Some of them use different
> dns servers but they still have the problem.  I have tried to look into
> the problem but can't find it.

Works from here, 4.7 RELEASE running bind.

>   The problem doesn't occur on solaris
> 2.8/2.9, or windows.

Are those machines on the same network?  The Windows machine probably
isn't doing resolution itself, so what nameserver is it using?  Is your
FreeBSD machine using the same one, or is it running a nameserver
itself?

>  I am running FreeBSD 4.7 RELEASE, and the box
> is not behind a firewall.  I have tried having the box resolve again
> multiple DNS servers with the same result.  Does anyone have any ideas,
> or are experiencing the same problem?

More specifics would help, but I doubt it's a FreeBSD issue.  Places to
look:

How is your machine represented to the Internet?  (what does its name,
IP address, reverse lookup look like)  How is this information
different than the boxes that are working?  External DNS servers may
(unusually) have restrictions on who they'll respond to.

Are you running a DNS server locally, or are you pointed somewhere
else?  (resolv.conf)  How does this relate to how the other boxes are
configured?

When you say "can't resolve", what do you mean?  Does the query never
get issued, does it not get a response, or is the response not
useful/correct?

KeS