Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 14:23:36 -0800
From:      "Mike McGranahan" <mikemcg@ucla.edu>
To:        "Cliff Sarginson" <cls@raggedclown.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Dual booting FreeBSD 4.7 and Windows XP

> On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 05:06:44AM -0800, Mike McGranahan wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to know what is the best way to dual boot FreeBSD 4.7 and
> > Windows XP?  I found this information (
> > http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/msg.php3?msg_id=7963936&list=151 )
regarding
> > how to use the Windows XP loader, and this information on GRUB (
> > http://www.gnu.org/manual/grub/html_node/Booting.html#Booting ) though
there
> > is no mention of Windows XP.
> >
> Grub works fine with FreeBSD and Windows XP.  [...]
> Remember that Windows only really likes to be booted off of the first
> hard disk, but there is a little trick with Grub (and I gues with my
> most bootloaders) that fools it into thinking that even if it is on the
> second disk it is told it is on the first.

Windows XP likes to be booted off the first disk?  Can you elaborate?  After
reading the earlier response by Jerry McAllister, I was planning on setting
the first/boot disk to my 10GB/blank drive in the BIOS, installing FreeBSD
on that 10GB disk, and using the FreeBSD loader to control the booting (with
the ???? entry for Windows XP).  Would Windows XP have trouble booting in
such a fashion, not off the first disk?

It looks like if I were to proceed with this configuration, I would have to
keep the 20GB/Windows XP drive as the first/boot disk, and replacing the
Windows XP loader with GRUB...  This would work right?

> I can send you some example menu entries from my own setup if you wish.
> To re-iterate you must understand not only the syntax of grub disk
> definitions, but also how it numbers them. The rest is a doddle.

Thanks I'll keep that offer in mind.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

P.S. Sorry for any duplicate emails, I forgot to use Reply All. =/