Date:      Mon, 28 Mar 2016 13:39:18 -0400
From:      Nikolai Lifanov <lifanov@mail.lifanov.com>
To:        =?UTF-8?B?Sm9zw6kgUMOpcmV6?= <fbl@aoek.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Official images without noatime

On 03/28/16 11:10, José Pérez wrote:
> Hello Nikolai,
>
> El 2016-03-26 13:32, Nikolai Lifanov escribió:
>> Since we also default to SU-no-J, power failure can be quite bad
>> during, say, installworld.
>
> Why? I see no relationship between noatime and higer or lower chances to
> loose files while writing them.

A simple case is during install /usr/bin/cmp is ran to compare two
files, atime for /usr/bin/cmp is updated during a crash, and
/usr/bin/cmp is gone on next boot. I then have to copy it out of
/usr/obj and into place and run installworld again. It's the handful of
utilities actually *used* by installworld that do this and mounting root
with noatime stops this from happening.

>> With / noatime, I had my RPI2 lose files like /usr/bin/cmp, /bin/ls,
>> and /bin/cat during a power loss.
>
> Bad luck. But, again, what is the relation with having or not noatime?
>
>> Since it's not even possible to cleanly shut down this platform, I'm
>> for enabling noatime for / on
>> at least for RPI and RPI2 platforms.
>
> My RPI2 shutdown cleanly with shutdown(8) or reboot(8).

It doesn't stay down if the power cable is still connected.
It boots back up immediately, so the only way to shut mine down is to
pull power on it.

> Based on my experience, the less operations you do with a flash
> memory, the longer it lives. Don't forget that flash is a technology
> meant to store large files (images or video) for a few times over the
> lifespan of a card. Throwing a live filesystem at it is, to say the least,
> daring.
>
> Enabling journaling on flash storage shall be prohibited by law.

I may have been superstitious about journaling (Ian corrected me
earlier), but disabling atime really helps these binaries stay around.