Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2000 19:08:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Remnants <remnants@shellyeah.org>
To:        FreeBSD Qs <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ipfw / natd + outgoing source address?

Maybe I'm just missing something in the man pages, but is there any way
to change the source address used for _outgoing_ connections from the
inside of a NAT to one of the external interface's aliases using ipfw /
natd? Something like ...

    ( lan )       tun0             tun1   ( aliases )

    192.168.0.1 ---+---> [-----] -------> 172.16.0.21
    192.168.0.2 ---+---> |     | -------> 172.16.0.22
    192.168.0.3 ---+---> | nat | -------> 172.16.0.23
    192.168.0.4 ---+     |     |
    192.168.0.5 ---'     [-----]

... so that requests originating from 192.168.0.1 would appear to the
outside world as coming from 172.16.0.21, 192.168.0.2 as 172.16.0.22,
and everything else on the inside as 172.16.0.23.

I see from the ipfilter docs and how-to that it appears to support this
kind of functionality via its map directive, but I'd rather not have to
switch.

Many thanks in advance.

  r.