Date:      Thu, 21 Jul 2011 16:21:08 +0200
From:      Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>
To:        freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 8.2-stable on a DockStar - now it works

Hi,

The last time I tried installing FreeBSD on my Seagate DockStar, it didn't work
(see this thread[1]).
Well, I had some spare time, and tried it again, this time with FreeBSD 8.2-stable.
I followed the build instructions at cooltrainer.org[2], with a few changes:
- I'm NOT patching /usr/src/sys/kern/vfs_mount.c
- I have a serial console, so I'm not patching
 /usr/src/etc/rc.d/fsck
 master.passwd
and these seems to be updated already, so I haven't tried patching them:
 liblzma
 if_axe.c
 if_axereg.h

I used the same usb memory stick as before, this one:
ugen0.3: <Verbatim> at usbus0
umass0: <Verbatim STORE N GO, class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 3> on usbus0
umass0:  SCSI over Bulk-Only; quirks = 0x0000
Root mount waiting for: usbus0
umass0:0:0:-1: Attached to scbus0

After much trial and error, I have found out that this memory stick simply doesn't work.
Once I changed to a different memory stick, this one:
gen0.3: <SanDisk Corporation> at usbus0
umass0: <SanDisk Corporation Cruzer Micro, class 0/0, rev 2.00/0.20, addr 3> on usbus0
umass0:  SCSI over Bulk-Only; quirks = 0x0000
Root mount waiting for: usbus0
umass0:0:0:-1: Attached to scbus0
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 scbus0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <SanDisk Cruzer Micro 0.4> Removable Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da0: 40.000MB/s transfers
da0: 488MB (1000944 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 488C)
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ufs/kirkwoodroot

everything works. Nice!
tingo@kg-star$ uname -a
FreeBSD kg-star.kg4.no 8.2-STABLE FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE #2: Thu Jul 21 13:19:08 CEST 2011     root@kg-v2.kg4.no:/usr/obj/arm/usr/src/sys/DOCKSTAR  arm

Details at my FreeBSD page for the DockStar[3].
One thing I noticed is that trhe memory stick gets quite warm after a few hours of use. Is this normal?