Date:      Thu, 09 Jan 1997 11:04:00 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-SMP@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Testing new machine

Hi,

> On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Steve Passe wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > >I suppose I should put the sysctl somewhere in my rc file ... is there any
> > >particular place in there (has anything GOT to happen first) ?
> >
> > I'd suggest /usr/local/etc/rc.d/smp.sh
>
> Thanks, Steve, but I wasn't looking for a place to declare it as much as
> an indication of anything that happens in /etc/rc that HAS to take place
> first.  I figure I have to hook it in, in either /etc/rc, /etc/rc.i386 or
> /etc/rc.local (which could very well call /usr/local/etc/rc.d/smp.sh) but
> I don't know if anything in the present startup sequence is required
> before turning on multiprocessing.

actually I suggested that location because there are some things that need
to be done first, but we have NO idea what!  See the code marked SMP_AUTOSTART
in init_smp.c for what doesn't work.  I picked the above location as a point
that is at the end of everything, without explaining why...

I believe proper form now is to ignore /etc/rc.local,
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/xxx.sh scripts are run by /etc/rc.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD