Date:      Sun, 3 Jun 2001 22:18:18 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Mike Barcroft <mike@q9media.com>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Removing __P()  (was Re: whois(1) patch)

At 8:54 PM -0400 6/3/01, Mike Barcroft wrote:
>Sorry, I didn't state that question very clearly.  I want
>to silence warnings with WARNS=2 enabled by converting
>some variables to const char *.  Since I'm converting
>variables to ANSI C types, it makes no sense to carry along
>the __P() support shims because it won't compile on K&R anyway.
>Am I correct in my assertion?

This topic has come up before on the developers list, and
the consensus has been that it's alright to do ANSI-fication
at a individual program level, as long as you have some
other reason to be making "declaration changes" in that
same program.

That consensus has not been unanimous, but it has been the
consensus whenever I've seen it discussed.

ANSI-fication of any system include libraries (anything in
/usr/include) is pretty much universally discouraged, and
might possibly result in some hostility...